Workshop/APD is a design firm specializing in luxury single-family home design, hospitality, and high-end commercial development. We actively leverage our experience to solve design challenges with innovative solutions that incorporate modern ideals/methods toward a signature aesthetic.
We are currently seeking a full-time Design Director with 6-10 years’ leadership experience designing and managing projects from concept through to design development. A Design Director needs to be proactive, have a likeable personality, minimal ego, and a strong design perspective.
Candidates should have strong leadership skills, lead design experience on modern high-end residential and hospitality projects and excel at bridging the gap between architectural design and FF&E selection. The ideal candidate would also have strong sourcing/specification experience.
This position is part of the Executive Management Team and reports to the Principals of the firm.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
- Providing design direction for all interior and architectural projects from Concept through DD, and partnering with project managers to ensure design intent is carried through CD and CA.
- Leading and managing a team of architects and interior designers. Specific tasks may include; tracking project schedules and designer assignments, employee mentorship and training, annual reviews, and team feedback.
- Interview and review intermediate/junior staff and new hires.
- Review and comment on designer’s work to ensure design vision is achieved including: Architecture, Interior Architecture, FF&E selection, Art, and Accessories.
- Contribution to the strategic thinking of the office including future growth and structure
- Manage multiple concurrent projects
- Present projects and participate in client meetings.
- Professional Degree (B.Arch., M.Arch., or Interior Design Degree)
- Minimum of 6 years’ high-end architectural design experience (should be able to showcase finished/built work)
- Experience managing project teams and clients associated with high profile, complex, and highly political residential and hospitality projects
- Ability to brainstorm design quickly, sketch ideas, think on your feet, and juggle multiple design challenges with clarity and conviction
- Ability to think strategically and participate in executive level planning
- Superior leadership skills with the ability to self-manage and manage staff
- Proficiency in AutoCAD (2008 or higher) and all Adobe programs
- 3-D Modeling and Renderings skills are not required but would be valuable
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment
- Highly developed communication skills, specifically with senior management, clients and consultants.
- Highly organized
Workshop/APD offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, matched 401(k) plan, short and long term disability, education reimbursement program, performance bonus, and personal time off (vacation, sick leave, holidays, and personal days).
Salary is commensurate with experience.
Please email your cover letter, resume and selected samples of your work in one PDF document no larger than 5MB to firstname.lastname@example.org. Email should include “DESIGN DIRECTOR” in the subject line.
No phone calls please.