Position Open: July 13, 2017
Position Close: Until filled
Clark Nexsen is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status. AAP. Drug-free workplace. E-verify. Applicants must be legally authorized to work for Clark Nexsen, Inc.
Must apply online through corporate website at www.clarknexsen.com.
Clark Nexsen is a national architecture and engineering firm focused on creating innovative design solutions for U.S. and global clients. We are passionate about our work and are prominently ranked on numerous industry lists. Building Design + Construction ranks Clark Nexsen as a Top 20 architecture and engineering firm and we have been named to the Architect 50 list of top U.S. firms for the past four years. Our culture supports the pursuit of excellence to engage and inspire the best professionals.
Our firm is headquartered in Virginia Beach, Virginia, with 450 employees in office locations in Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, and Texas. We offer outstanding compensation, benefits, and growth opportunities in a positive work environment. We believe we can create a better world through our work. Giving back is also a guiding philosophy. As a company and as individuals, we proudly volunteer and give back to the surrounding communities where we live and work.
Generous benefits: Health, Dental, 401k, Short and Long term Disability, Vacation/Sick leave, Aflac, Flexible benefits, and Legal Resources benefits are available.
We seek to hire a Design Director to work in our Virginia Beach, VA office. This position will have overall responsibility for inspiring design creativity and for providing the strategic direction in advancing the firm’s design culture.
General responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Making decisions and recommendations with a direct and significant impact on the design culture of the firm.
- Working with Senior Management in business development efforts.
- Leading the development of project programming, strategic partnering and consulting, conceptual designs, space planning, client presentations, design development, and production.
- Developing and mentoring team members, offering guidance and leadership.
- Communicating design vision and results to many audiences, both internal and external.
- Leading and participating in design reviews/critiques, charrettes, and submittals.
- Meeting with specific high profile clients as needed to reinforce design goals.
- Participating in the recruitment and hiring of design talent.
- Participating in business planning, public relations, organizational strategies and policy development.
- Implement the long-term and short-term design vision for the firm.
- Proven leadership and mentoring skills.
- Persuasive communicator with excellent presentation skills.
- Bachelor of Architecture from an NAAB-accredited program -or-
- Masters of Architecture (MA must be from an NAAB-accredited program)
Licenses, Certifications, and Accreditations
- Must be a licensed and registered Architect in at least one US state, preferably in Virginia or North Carolina, and eligible for obtaining reciprocity in other states through NCARB.
A Design Director should have a working familiarity with design and production software to the point of understanding the capabilities and limitations of the programs and interact with design staff in their use of the software. Examples include 2D/3D software, including AutoCAD, REVIT, 3D Studio MAX, PhotoShop, In-Design, Illustrator, Sketch-up, and PowerPoint.
A Design Director should have at least 15 years of significant design experience to include experience serving as a Design Principal, Design Manager or Design Director in an architectural firm or a multi-discipline Architectural & Engineering firm on design projects of moderate to large scope for higher educational, science and technology, commercial and/or government facilities. Recognition for multiple award-winning designs throughout career may be given additional consideration.
Possess technical and design skills with a demonstrated desire and ability to evaluate new ideas, technologies, and systems
Ability to prepare effective and concise documents
Have a client-oriented attitude with a desire to provide outstanding professional services
Be dedicated to his or her professional development as well as the success of colleagues and the firm as a whole